[wp-forums] Tidying tags

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Dec 29 12:18:27 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> error (858 posts)
> help (367)
> mysql (255)

I think this is a legitimate tag.

> new (129)
> php (348)

this, too, is probably a legit tag.

> problem (374)
> tags (203)
> wordpress (363)

The others appear useless, but the context of their posts might prove me
wrong.

> if we assume (never a good thing I
> know) that all the above tags have another _useful_ tag attached, then
> we can safely destroy those tags.
> At best, we end up with more focused tags.
> At worst we leave some tag-less posts
> In reality it'll be a combo of the above.
>
> Thoughts ?

I think a little bit of volunteer effort to tidy up the tags goes a long
way.  If we all pick one of these questionable tags, it shouldn't take
us too long to skim the posts and excise the tag as necessary.  It might
be that we decide to keep the tag on some -- but not other -- posts, and
thereby lower its precedence in the tag cloud.

> (and while I'm here - capitalisation of tags. Yes / no/ who cares ? :) )

Does the tag system handle case differently?  If it does, then that
ought to be fixed in the code.  The tags should be handled case
insensitive so that this isn't an issue for the end-user.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35