[wp-forums] search

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Sat Dec 24 08:03:34 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sat 24 Dec 2005 01:33:57 GMT, [Moshu] wrote : \_____

> Matt Mullenweg:
>
>> Our current host cannot support a high volume of searches
>> through the
>> forum system. The new hosting should be faster.

s  it  safe to assume that it will handle the abnormal load  of  requests
when  2.0  is  released? ~460k X ~10,000 = 4.6 GB per  day  for  downloads
alone.  Put  many  requests  for pages and forum searches on  top  of  it.
OpenOffice 2 was deployed across mirrors prior to the release, for exactly
that reason (and the size of the files, proximity, among other factors).

> I don't know much about hosting and servers, I admit.
> My problem is related to the relevancy of the results. Before
> starting this thread I was searching for "blank install"
>
> Now see the results with the old search:
> http://wordpress.org/support/search.php?q=blank+install
>
> and with the new one:
> http://search.wordpress.org/blank+install
>
> I am wondering why to have this "new" one if it's totally useless?

Admittedly,  I  got involved in support only a few days ago, so  my  voice
shouldn't  count *ducks down*. And yet, I noticed the same thing. Whenever
I  try  to search for related forum posts which I have seen (often to  in-
crease re-use), I get a load of pages that are irrelevant. I gave up on it
after  a day. The 'old search' or even Google site search seems to be more
valuable for support purposes. Thus, it can decrease the number of repeat-
ed discussions.

Roy