[wp-forums] Preping Forums for 2.0 Release

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Dec 21 17:48:04 GMT 2005

Vicki Frei wrote:
> Well, I can see you wouldn't make major changes on the eve of release,
> but I'm never going to be happy about writable ANYTHING on my servers.
> If asked, I will simply state my own preferences and let it go at that.

Something being writable has nothing to do with security or permissions
directly. "Writable" under a cgi enviroment like
yahoo/textdrive/dreamhost means ONLY that user has access to write the
files. Under mod_php it means the webserver needs access, which
generally means 766 or above.

> As long as I don't HAVE to do it.... and I don't, I use phpMyAdmin, I
> don't need wordpress to hold my hand for backups.

Then don't activate the plugin and don't use it.

> So what was this in aid of anyway?  Why does wp NEED a backup utility
> resident?

This was pretty widely discussed, there was a call for recommended
plugins. Skippy's seemed like a no-brainer, especially since built-in
backup hasn't made it into the core yet and the plugin is so widely
tested from the backup week days.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://akismet.com