[wp-forums] Preping Forums for 2.0 Release

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Mon Dec 19 23:38:44 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> Michael B wrote:
>
>>OK, sounds like it's a go.  So under installation?  Just a post and
>>close it, or leave it open for questions?  Tonight? Tomorrow?
>>

> I'd say sooner rather than later, sticky it and leave it open.
> Lots of linkage to backup stuff, to skippy's plugin.

Be advised that there are some subtle changes to 2.0 that conflict to
what we (or at the very least *I*) have recommended in the past.

Specifically, the _entire_ /wp-content/ directory needs to be writable
for the backup plugin bundled with WP 2.0.  It tacks on a semi-random
string to the /backup/ directory name (making, for example,
/backup-3de/) in order to hide the directory from prying eyes.  A simple
"index.php" inside /backup/ would've done the trick just as well,
without loosening permissions on the entire /wp-content/ directory, but
Matt's the boss.

So be sure to tell everyone to make /wp-content/ writable.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35