[wp-forums] Intro (Lorelle suggested! She did.... I swear...!)

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Fri Aug 5 18:45:14 GMT 2005

Oh, well....

Err, I'm Les. I should probably have a cool alias, but I've never got round
to thinking of one. I've run various personal websites over the last
<mumble> years, starting with something best forgotten using FrontPage,
before moving on to hand-coded HTML and CSS. For a few years, my main site
was http://tiggercam.net, which used to feature a frequently changing
selection of Tiggers. There's still a small slideshow up there.

Early last year, I decided I wanted to use my main personal site,
http://lcb.me.uk to record my weight loss and exercise plan. Now, being an
old (X)HTML/CSS type, I started hand-coding it, but this soon became
tedious. So, I created my first weblog - at the time using MT. That lasted a
while, had a few changes of design, and a shift in focus or two. Then MT3
came along. Unlike some users, I wasn't troubled by the pricing so much as
all the work I'd have to do redesigning my templates to get anything out of
the new features. So, I looked around again, and took another look at
WordPress, which had improved a great deal since I first glanced at it
(whenever that was). I imported my data[1] and replicated my design in WP.
Within a very short space of time, I realised that WP was a lot more
pleasant to work with (the lack of constant rebuilds was nice), and so I
moved my live site over. And I've been here ever since. I answer the odd[2]
question in the forum when I have the time, and I read a lot in the forums -
I've picked up a lot of ideas that way.

In my day job, I manage Windows Servers, desktop PCs and applications and
try to keep the users happy (or at least quiet). WordPress is nicely
*different* from the computer work I get paid to do, and I get a lot out of
my site, WP itself and joining in the forums.

At any given time, I usually have one or two test sites running[3] on one of
my other domains[4], but the only active site is generally the main one.

And I like footnotes[5]

[1] Interesting note: importing all my posts from MT to WP worked perfectly.
Importing from MT2.x to MT3.x required splitting the import file into
smaller chunks to avoid it crashing. More points for WP
[2] And some less odd
[3] I prefer not to break my main site too frequently :)
[4] Err, seven at the last count, not counting a couple I host for friends
[5] In case you hadn't noticed

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Losing it[1] - http://lcb.me.uk/