[wp-edu] Shibboleth on WordPress

Stephen R Guglielmo srg at temple.edu
Thu Sep 1 16:14:58 UTC 2016

Hello all,

We have a large WordPress multisite at our University. Currently, we are using a LDAP plugin to handle our authentication/authorization. Our Identity Management group wants everyone to move to Shibboleth if possible. We already have the IdP infrastructure.

The issue that concerns me is that the WordPress Shibboleth plugin [1] seems to be not very well maintained. On the GitHub repo for the plugin [2], there are pending pull requests from 2014 and 2015 and a handful of pending issues (including some that are multisite-specific). The majority of the pull requests and issues have no response from the committer/maintainer.

Is anyone else using Shibboleth for a WordPress multisite instance? Are you using a custom implementation or this plugin? I’m just looking for any feedback from anyone who is using it to see if it’s a worthy pursuit or if we should just stick with LDAP.

Thanks,
Steve Guglielmo
Temple University

[1] https://wordpress.org/plugins/shibboleth/