[wp-edu] Who has a large Wordpress network being run by central IT?

Michael Barnard mbarnard at mtholyoke.edu
Wed Jan 27 16:36:01 UTC 2016

We're running two Wordpress instances here at Mount Holyoke, both
internally hosted: folio.mtholyoke.edu (e-portfolios) and
commons.mtholyoke.edu (student blogs/sites). I don't have numbers off the
top of my head, but we launched Commons last year and I seem to remember
it's got a couple hundred or so blogs/sites on it so far, which is fairly
substantial given that we only have a couple thousand students. Both
services are growing steadily.

I used to work at UMass Amherst and I know they have an internally-hosted
Wordpress instance at blogs.umass.edu. This has a few thousand blogs on it
(enough that mysqldump would choke and die horribly if you tried to dump
the entire Wordpress database). Much of what's there was just built by
students for various classes and immediately abandoned, but they do prune
old content after the blog owners leave UMass, so it's not all a gigantic
mass of abandoned content.