[wp-edu] About to give up

Tim Owens genial at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:03:44 UTC 2015

In a lot of cases we see traffic taking the form of brute force login
attempts both on wp-login.php and xmlrpc.php. Handling this at the plugin
level is harder than at the server level because any plugin is going to
have to load properties of WordPress and make database calls to read
anything about the user and IP-based blocking is often thwarted by a
distributed attack from many different IP addresses (so individual IPs
might only log in one time but the weight of all attempts across the range
will take down the server).

We've had good experience using Fail2ban on the server (
http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) in combination with the
WP-fail2ban plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-fail2ban/) which
writes failed login attempts to the auth log. The plugin can deny at the
server level *any* attempt with username admin or administrator which alone
will cut down on 99% of attacks and beyond that can block network ranges
based on the failed attempts of multiple IPs within that range. It's a
really elegant and flexible solution in my opinion.

-----
Tim Owens