[wp-edu] Superadmins redirect to main page admin panel when misspelling pages

Brian D. Sears (bdsears) bdsears at henrico.k12.va.us
Tue May 14 14:47:07 UTC 2013

We are experiencing an issue that impacts any superadmin who manually types in the web address to access a blog dashboard who also makes a typo when manually typing in the URL.
For example, if a superadmin (who has previously authenticated into blogname.edu) types in this address for a blog dashboard:

http://blogname.edu/whaaaaaaaat/wp-admin/

then they are typing in a non-existent dashboard URL (the correct URL should be http://blogname.edu/what/wp-admin/).

I thought that by typing in a URL to a non-existent site would load a file not found or 404 error page. However, no error page loads for superadmins in this case. Instead, the root (blogname.edu/wp-admin/) page loads and the URL with the typo remains listed in the web address bar, giving false information to the blog user. This resulted in our blog's homepage being accidentally edited.

Is this a default behavior in WordPress MultiSite, or is this due to some misconfiguration on our part?

Can anyone verify that this happens on their MultiSite install as well?

Anyone have any ideas how I could fix it?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Brian Sears
Senior Enterprise Systems Administrator
Henrico County Public Schools