[wp-edu] Shibboleth?

VanDrimmelen, Jeff jeffvand at unc.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:22:42 UTC 2012

Hey All,

We have done a LOT with Shib and are now testing out AD authentication instead of Shib.  You can read one of my colleagues work here at UNC with the plugin and a patch here: http://www.ibiblio.org/archive/2011/10/wordpress-multisite-plus-shibboleth/

Duke has also done some work: https://projects.linux.duke.edu/dukewordpress/browser/plugins (look for the shib one there).

The reason we are exploring using AD instead of shib is purely for authentication reasons.  We need to password protect individual pages and sections inside of wordpress.  It works great if you are just using the default domain and shib (*.web.unc.edu for us), but my understanding is that shib can only give cookies for one domain.  So if we map a domain like *.unc.edu to it then it can not get a cookie for that domain.

But we are working on seeing if we can make it do that since we have everything set up with shib right now (today in fact).

I really like the wordpress AD wordpress plugin though: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/active-directory-integration/.  It works great with our infrastructure.  I kind of wish we would have done that from the beginning because shib has been so painful.  Some things in wordpress work better when you use the integrated login instead of redirecting to outside auth.  One example is the remote publishing protocol (read: mobile devices with mobile wordpress apps) does not work with shib because it redirects.

Anyway, it is very complicated.  I didn't do most of the work on this here on campus, but I have been part of all the conversations.  Some of my colleagues might be able to help you more if you need more in depth help.

Best,

~Jeff