[wp-edu] Blueprint for using WP as LMS?

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Tue Sep 27 16:21:07 UTC 2011

Pe 27.09.2011 17:45, Kathy Fatheree a scris:
> Hi,
>
> I’m new to the list and having a little bit of trouble finding information.
>
> I would love to talk to someone to see what all I need in order to use
> WordPress as a LMS. I’d like to learn what plugins to use and what I
> need to pay for vs. free options. I am a technical writer and not a
> programmer so the easier things are the better! My company doesn’t have
> the budget for a paid LMS, and the programmers are too busy to help me
> with Moodle.
>
> I will probably be using Captivate to generate the content. We need:
>
> ·Unique Login for students

Checked.

> ·Paid lessons

Checked. With usage of an external plugin like S2Members or WPMU's
membership plugin.

> ·Free lessons

Checked.

> ·Tests with automatic grading (%, pass/fail) across multiple modules
> (ex: 1 course can have 8 modules)

Half checked. Doesn't have implicit pass/fail result, just %. Multiple
modules are called lectures.

> ·Way to store student test results

Checked. Per assignment gradebook with comments and notifications when a
grade was updated.

> ·Way to automatically issue certification document

No implicit support, but you can hook into an action and generate/email
a document like that.

> ·Bulk email capability to all student

Checked. Through a mass-mailing BuddyPress plugin.

> ·Feedback form/survey

No implicit support but there are dozen of plugins like Contact Form 7
and so on. There's full support for shortcodes though.

> Can someone help me with my research?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kathy

Here's the presentation page: