No subject

Wed Aug 17 18:42:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Joseph Ugoretz <joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.e=
du<mailto:joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.edu>> wrote:
We had some bad results with Role Scoper.  It's been a while, so might be b=
etter now, but when we were using it back in March of 2011 we found that it=
 was not ideal for a large multi-site install.  The roles were applied acro=
ss the whole system, not just for an individual site, and when assigning ro=
les it had to access the whole user list, so very very slow.

We have had better luck with capability manager and have been using it pret=
ty extensively.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/capsman

Haven't tried the other two!

Joe
--
Joseph Ugoretz, PhD
Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning and Technology

On Feb 13, 2012, at 12:56 PM, VanDrimmelen, Jeff wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> We are growing quick here at UNC and are looking to put some larger sites=
 on our wordpress installation.  With this comes the need to specify more r=
ights on the site and create groups that have rights to certain folders, et=
c.  We are looking at permissions plugins and have three in mind.

> - Permit Press (http://presspermit.com/press-permit-overview/) - made by =
the same guy that made Role Scoper
> - Role Scoper (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/)
> - User Access Manager (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-access-ma=
nager/)

> I was interested to hear what others are using to control rights to certa=
in pages, and custom user groups.  Has anyone had experience with these thr=
ee?  Are there others out there we should look at in our evaluation?  Any o=
ther tips, suggestions, etc?

> Thanks,
>
> ~Jeff
> http://web.unc.edu<http://web.unc.edu/> - Over 2000 sites and growing. :)

--_000_BAFA60D7AB0F4A4EAA410FF6999425B1uncedu_

<head>
1">
</head>
e-break: after-white-space; ">
Thank you all. &nbsp;These are great suggestions we have added to our evalu=
ation. &nbsp;
Nacin wrote:</div>
s Members.&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/</a></div>
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Joseph Ugoretz <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.edu" target=3D"_blank">joseph.ugoretz=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
We had some bad results with Role Scoper. &nbsp;It's been a while, so might=
 be better now, but when we were using it back in March of 2011 we found th=
at it was not ideal for a large multi-site install. &nbsp;The roles were ap=
plied across the whole system, not just for
 an individual site, and when assigning roles it had to access the whole us=
er list, so very very slow.<br>
We have had better luck with capability manager and have been using it pret=
ty extensively.<br>
ttp://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/capsman</a><br>
Haven't tried the other two!<br>
Joe<br>
Joseph Ugoretz, PhD<br>
Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning and Technology<br>
Macaulay Honors College - CUNY<br>
35 West 67th St.<br>
New York, NY 10023<br>
12.729.2920</a><br>
y.edu</a><br>
On Feb 13, 2012, at 12:56 PM, VanDrimmelen, Jeff wrote:<br>
&gt; Hey Everyone,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; We are growing quick here at UNC and are looking to put some larger si=
tes on our wordpress installation. &nbsp;With this comes the need to specif=
y more rights on the site and create groups that have rights to certain fol=
ders, etc. &nbsp;We are looking at permissions
 plugins and have three in mind.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - Permit Press (<a href=3D"http://presspermit.com/press-permit-overvie=
w/" target=3D"_blank">http://presspermit.com/press-permit-overview/</a>) - =
made by the same guy that made Role Scoper<br>
&gt; - Role Scoper (<a href=3D"http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-sco=
per/" target=3D"_blank">http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/</a=
>)<br>
&gt; - User Access Manager (<a href=3D"http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/=
user-access-manager/" target=3D"_blank">http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins=
/user-access-manager/</a>)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I was interested to hear what others are using to control rights to ce=
rtain pages, and custom user groups. &nbsp;Has anyone had experience with t=
hese three? &nbsp;Are there others out there we should look at in our evalu=
ation? &nbsp;Any other tips, suggestions, etc?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ~Jeff<br>
&gt; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://web.unc.edu/" target=3D"_blank">http://web.unc.edu</=
a> - Over 2000 sites and growing. :)<br>
&gt; wp-edu mailing list<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:wp-edu at lists.automattic.com" target=3D"_blank">wp-ed=
u at lists.automattic.com</a><br>