[wp-edu] Distributed Support for Wordpress Multi-site Networks

VanDrimmelen, Jeff jeffvand at unc.edu
Mon Apr 18 19:12:04 UTC 2011

Hey All,

I have a question for you.  Our multi-site instance is growing quickly since we started it last year.  We have around 1200 sites now (http://web.unc.edu).  My question is about support.  It is quickly growing beyond my ability to provide support for all the sites myself.  We have a very distributed IT here on UNC-CH campus and I would like to give rights to some of the folks in the distributed departments to allow them to support their users better.

Has anyone else had a situation like this and what did y'all do to best manage it?  I am thinking of categorizing the departments using a plugin like WPMU's Blog Types - http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blog-types.  And then giving certain users rights to edit sites that fall in a certain category.    I thought I would start with y'all before developing my own solution.

Thanks for any thoughts or leads you have.

~Jeff