[wp-edu] Federated Authentication? Anyone thought about it?

Patrick Laverty patrick_laverty at brown.edu
Thu Sep 30 18:56:48 UTC 2010

We found that the new Shib plugin does work and fix the authors
problem as described in the thread.  However it doesn't fix the
username issue.  We're still running into that.

All the filtering and sanitizing is being done after the registration,
and that's where the problem is coming in.  First time registrants
trying to log in to the system.  When WP tries to create their
account, the @ and . are killing it.  But if they're already in the
system, logging in is no problem.

So one solution is that we can add every user at our University and
then there will be no problems with that.

However one of the major reasons to use Shibboleth (along with SSO) is
federation.  I don't know who's going to need access from other
institutions and I really don't want to be creating those on an
as-needed basis.  So we'd prefer for this to work.

I'm guessing that this is just another filter that needs to happen in
the account creation where the @ and . is allowed.  We're just trying
to find the right place and the right hooks to make it happen.

If anyone else thinks they know what would make that work, it would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Patrick