[wp-edu] Educational Focused WordCamp?

Jay Collier jay.collier at thecompass.com
Fri Sep 10 14:52:33 UTC 2010

Helen-

My last 2 cents on this. For those of us who have worked at institutions with clearly-defined and strongly-enforced intellectual property policies -- and those who have created works that have been used commercially and modified without attribution -- not having a clear definition of ownership and licensing could actually prevent participating, since the text, images, and code created by a staff member is usually owned by the institution (as "work for hire").

This may only be true for a small number of schools, but during this time of significant transformation in higher education regarding open content, this may grow. Moving forward is understandable, but I'd simply suggest that each contributor check in with the copyright authority at your school.

C'est tout pour le moment ;)

-Jay

Jay Collier - http://jaycollier.net
The Compass LLC - http://thecompass.com