[wp-edu] Wordpress (Buddypress optional) for teaching

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Sun Apr 18 14:35:32 UTC 2010

În data de Du, 18-04-2010 la 09:14 -0500, Christopher a scris:
> Just a quick update on my project (since we have the difference in
> opinion regarding requirements)
>
> I've been without internet at home for the last week. I have a bad ISP
> and I've been trying to switch to another for months so  I haven't made
> much progress on it.  I do all my testing on my webhosting account since
> we only have one working computer here.  Before that I had just finished
> getting weekly e-mail updates for students based on syllabus info and
> the student's start date.  For example if the syllabus says that on day
> 5 the student should read a page and take a quiz, the (text) email for
> that week will tell them to do that.
>
> At this time, I'm thinking about how to set up a point/motivational
> system separate from grades for example a point for every activity
> completed.
>
> I'm also focused on learning how to add other activities to the
> gradebook (not just quizzes and tests) so I guess I need to start
> learning AJAX so this might take forever. I know how to send scores from
> PHP scripts, but most games are in javascript so this is where I'm
> stuck. There isn't much point in getting bug testers and feedback until
> I have more activity types integrated.
>
> Specifically I've been thinking about the HotPotatoes activities which
> are javascript. HotPotatoes is now free to use. Of course if any of you
> know of any PHP based games that are scored and free to use, please let
> me know. :-)

A bit offtopic maybe,
but I would suggest taking a look at jQuery and it's .ajax() method.
It's not that rocket science like it seems, and jQuery makes it even
easier to use.
api.jquery.com/jQuery.ajax/

Btw, good to hear news from your project :)
Keep it up!

> On 4/15/2010 4:09 PM, Stas Sușcov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > because WordPress vs. BuddyPress raised some discussions about
> > performance issues and resource usage, I asked about that and received
> > some positive replies.
> >
> > Most interesting is this webpage where a couple of options are
> > described. Some of them are included or pluggable.
> >
> > http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/improving-performance/
> >

> If you look at the info provided, those ideas are for Wordpress. They
> don't specifically make Buddypress less intensive or make fewer queries
> so I'm not yet convinced that requiring Buddypress is good since not
> everyone can afford a dedicated server (I know I can't!).  :-)

You might be right, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to benchmark a
heavy WordPress vs BuddyPress install, but hey, I trust the guys behind
the project and I'm sure they do their best :)

--
()  Campania Panglicii în ASCII
/\  http://stas.nerd.ro/ascii/