[wp-edu] Wordpress (Buddypress optional) for teaching

Christopher christopher at portallanguageservices.com
Sun Apr 18 14:14:44 UTC 2010

Just a quick update on my project (since we have the difference in
opinion regarding requirements)

I've been without internet at home for the last week. I have a bad ISP
and I've been trying to switch to another for months so  I haven't made
much progress on it.  I do all my testing on my webhosting account since
we only have one working computer here.  Before that I had just finished
getting weekly e-mail updates for students based on syllabus info and
the student's start date.  For example if the syllabus says that on day
5 the student should read a page and take a quiz, the (text) email for
that week will tell them to do that.

At this time, I'm thinking about how to set up a point/motivational
system separate from grades for example a point for every activity
completed.

I'm also focused on learning how to add other activities to the
gradebook (not just quizzes and tests) so I guess I need to start
learning AJAX so this might take forever. I know how to send scores from
PHP scripts, but most games are in javascript so this is where I'm
stuck. There isn't much point in getting bug testers and feedback until
I have more activity types integrated.

Specifically I've been thinking about the HotPotatoes activities which
are javascript. HotPotatoes is now free to use. Of course if any of you
know of any PHP based games that are scored and free to use, please let
me know. :-)

On 4/15/2010 4:09 PM, Stas Sușcov wrote:
> Hello,
> because WordPress vs. BuddyPress raised some discussions about
> performance issues and resource usage, I asked about that and received
> some positive replies.
>
> Most interesting is this webpage where a couple of options are
> described. Some of them are included or pluggable.
>
> http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/improving-performance/

If you look at the info provided, those ideas are for Wordpress. They
don't specifically make Buddypress less intensive or make fewer queries
so I'm not yet convinced that requiring Buddypress is good since not
everyone can afford a dedicated server (I know I can't!).  :-)