[wp-edu] GSoC 2010, BuddyPress for teaching

Joseph Ugoretz joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.edu
Sun Apr 4 16:59:41 UTC 2010

Thanks, Skip, for the link to your course.  I had heard of your work but somehow had never actually seen your course sites, and they really provide an excellent set of models.  The idea of partly open and partly closed is an important one for me (and for my students). And using the variety of resources and evolving as the options change is just as important. I also would like a truly elegant discussion board grading solution...none of the lms solutions really have that.

As far as the gradebook itself, Christopher, I think we might be running into a disconnect between scoring and grading. Comments and extended feedback are really the heart of what grading can be if it is a tool for development and improvement beyond assessment. KB gradebook, because it is just taking anything the instructor enters, gives the opportunity for those comments and detailed responses right there on the grades page for the students, not just letter grades or numeric scores.  From the instructor's point of view, this is much less than work than composing a separate email or message to each student, because the feedback is all there in one place and saved so on assignment number three i can look back and see (it is in the same row on the spreadsheet) exactly what i said to the student about assignment number one. It is also more secure than email (important, because grades are federally-protected student information for public institutions), and easier to back up in multiple locations.

From the student's point of view, too, they can see the representation of their progress and the comments and feedback in a single word press page.

It is definitely busywork to grade multiple choice or numeric quizzes, and I am all in favor of avoiding that. But grading papers and projects is the bulk of the work i do in a course and that is not busywork! So anything that helps make that easier in terms of staying organized and getting the info out to students efficiently and securely is really important.

To go back to discussion forums for a minute...I can't say enough about the simple press forum plugin. It doesn't quite have the refined discussion grading that Skip is talking about, but it does have ratings by stars or thumbs-up/thumbs-down. And the privacy options are fine-grained and controllable.

What I think I would like most but am still missing is a good full-featured dropbox plugin for students to submit assignments and have the instructor (and other students? Groups?) receive and send them back. I'm currently using a plugin that I tegrates with dropbox.com<http://dropbox.com>. It is ok but not ideal, because it is really only one-way.

Joe

--
Joseph Ugoretz, PhD
Director of Technology and Learning