[wp-edu] Advice needed on using WP for ALL of the website.

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Fri Jan 30 14:48:01 GMT 2009

You will hear different stories from a variety of places. Developers
in education are no different than developers in other areas and will
be evangelical about solutions.

I cannot fault them, any solution in large organizations requires
work. Decisions can be based on knowledge, budget, enterprise
requirements, data portability, and a host of other factors. Of course
cooperation, trust, and the final outcome are probably the biggest
areas that my administrators looked at.

In my case I run a website (http://www.nicholls.edu) where roughly 80%
is built with single installations of WordPress. I ran though several
CMS solutions, but was forced to make a quick decision on my own. I am
the only staff member doing web-work, so I had the leverage to choose
a tool that I could deal with quickly and efficiently. At the time
WPMU was not an option, but it is sure on my wish list now. It started
as a choice, so departments could chose between static HTML and
WordPress. I did leave the door open for other choices (drupal,
joomla), but no one has desired anything else.

My focus was on end users, so the solution needed to be easy to use,
easy to train, and easy to troubleshoot. My primary users are
administrative secretaries, so the skill level is mostly based on
desktop word-processing applications. After training an entire
division of roughly 30 administrators to use Dreamweaver, WordPress
became a welcome replacement.

I did one meeting with our Web Committee and showed WordPress 2.0 in
action. I showed a couple of other solutions both OSS and Commercial.
The questions I encountered were:

1. Cost?
2. Development? How hard is it to replace you or this WordPress thing?
3. Time frame for conversion of existing sites?
4. Extendability?
5. How can this fit into other stuff like on-line learning and
student / employee services systems.

No. 5 was left to a wait and see since we going through a massive
upgrade to those systems, but our IT department likes to keep some
separation between public and private systems anyway.

The easy answer:

It depends on your organization and those involved in the decision.

Jess

[    :P    ]    jess planck    -    http://funroe.net