[wp-edu] Advice needed on using WP for ALL of the website.

Joel Goodman joel.goodman at greenville.edu
Fri Jan 30 14:19:40 GMT 2009

Hey Abhishek,

If you’re at all interested in developing templates for WP, I’d suggest the screencast series over at http://css-tricks.com - starting at screencast #25

As far as the platform, I’d say it depends on how much content and how you’re going to use it. Joomla! As a CMS is best suited for e-commerce sort of things. But if you’re going to have a LOT of content, it might be a good route to go. Drupal is different in that it’s more focused on community - user profiles, forums, discussion.

I personally think that WP does a much better job at connect people and letting them easily comment. Designing for WordPress really isn’t very hard and the platform is so extensible and quick that if you’re looking at say, 15 pages or so, it will work great. I use WP for a music festival our college holds each year and it’s definitely not a blog: http://www.agapefest.com but that will give you some idea of how you can use child/parent Pages as well as dynamic content in the form of news.

Hope that helps, and if you have any specific questions, I’d be glad to help you out.

Joel

Joel Goodman
Web Content Coordinator
Greenville College
315 E College Ave.
Greenville, IL 62246
TEL/618.664.6515
WEB/www.greenville.edu<http://www.greenville.edu/>
EMAIL/joel.goodman at greenville.edu<mailto:joel.goodman at greenville.edu>

Futuristic ● Strategic ● Responsibility ● Restorative ● Competition