[wp-edu] Pages in category lists

Jeremy Boggs jeremy at clioweb.org
Mon Jan 12 00:34:44 GMT 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Velda wrote:

> OK, I've checked these out, and they're close, but I need to treat
> the pages as categories rather than posts, so they'll show up in
> category lists, alongside other categories.  So my admissions
> category might have a few subcategories (like FAQs for example) as
> well as a page linking to an enrollment form.
>
> Is that what yours does, Jeremy?

Sorry, no, my plugin doesn't do this. It simply lets you associate
categories to a static page the same way you can associate categories
to a post. It has a custom template function that will list the pages
by category on the public side.

Sounds like what you want is a way to list both categories and static
pages with the wp_list_categories() template function...is that right?
Should be possible, but it wouldn't be very easy, especially the
ordering and hierarchy among categories and static pages. Seems
interesting, and in fact is something folks in my department have
wanted for their department website. (I set up GMU's history
department site with WP.)

In any case, I cleaned up and made my plugin available for download
here:

http://clioweb.org/downloads/cwpagecategories.txt

It's a very simple plugin: lets you add categories to a page, and has
a template function called cw_listcategories() that you can use in the
sidebar to list pages under a category heading. You can also return an
array of pages with cw_getpagesbycat($cat) and replace $cat with the
category ID.

I used a messier version of this plugin on CHNM's site, here for
example:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/research-and-tools/

"Research and Tools" is a category template page, which uses
cw_getpagesbycat() in the category.php theme file to return all the
static pages with the category "Research and Tools." Each project on
that page is a static page.

I tested this with 2.7 only, but it should work OK in previous
versions of 2.x, assuming they include jQuery. If you try it out, or
improve it in any way, please share!

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Boggs