[wp-edu] identity management integration

Mark Styles wp-edu at lambic.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 18:04:02 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:34:16PM -0500, Douglas Hanna wrote:
> we're committed to keeping it [DirAuth] working with WordPress as we
> release upgrades and changes.

I have a version that I updated for 2.6, including admin interface
styling, although it'll probably now need a tweak for 2.7. If you want I
can submit a patch for either/both versions. Just let me know where/how.

> With that in mind, we aren't actively
> developing any new features for it. Our ideal involvement is reviewing
> and accepting patches from the community and committing them to the
> plugin's code as a point-of-contact instead of an active developer.

That's more or less what I expected, although it would be nice if
Automattic at least checked the code for sensibleness.

> Did you have any ideas for features? We can look into the possibility
> of making them happen, but obviously can't promise anything. LDAP is
> not something we use internally, but we do understand that it is
> important to the educational community and many of our enterprise
> users.

The feature I will probably have to investigate at some point is the
incorporation of Active Directory groups into WordPress security,
allowing roles/access to be defined based on those groups.

> If anyone here is technical and is interested in maintaining the
> plugin more actively, please let me know and I will put you in touch
> with the right people.

I guess that would be me, as I've already worked on it and I know the
original author. LDAP isn't my favourite thing in the world, but it's
something I have to work with.

--
Mark
http://www.lambic.co.uk