[wp-edu] identity management integration

Will Norris will at willnorris.com
Sat Nov 8 20:46:25 GMT 2008

First a quick introduction:  My name is Will Norris.  Until recently,
I worked at University of Southern California on enterprise identity
management.  During that time I was a member of the core development
team for Shibboleth[0], a web single sign-on package popular in higher
education.  I now focus primarily on OpenID[1] and maintain the
WordPress OpenID plugin[2] and a new Shibboleth plugin[3].

At USC, we were well on the way to making it institutional policy that
any enterprise applications MUST integrate with the university's
identity management infrastructure.  Depending on the application,
this typically meant Shibboleth or LDAP.  The level of integration
varied -- the bare minimum was authentication and authorization to use
the application (the two are inseparable at USC).  Beyond that
applications could use the IdM infrastructure for additional user
attributes, more fine-grained authorization within the application,
and management of user groups.

I'm particularly interested to hear what integration challenges
universities have faced with WordPress.  Does your university require
this integration and to what degree?  What interfaces does your IdM
system provide -- LDAP, Active Directory, web single sign-on
(Shibboleth, PubCookie, CAS, CoSign, other)?  How much success have
you had with this integration?  Did you use publicly available
plugins, or a home-grown solution?

Thanks,
Will Norris

[0]: http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/