[wp-edu] What features and what kind of use do you need?

Gowtham wordpress at sgowtham.net
Thu Nov 6 01:38:46 GMT 2008

Hello all,

A couple years ago, when WPMU was in v1.0 or thereabouts, I had
tried to implement within a department, with the hope of extending
it to the entire University later. However, there were some concerns:

 1. Letting every student have a blog and write whatever they
    feel like.

    This was the primary concern and since there was no simple
    & effective way of screening what the students would post,
    we decided to give the power of writing to teaching
    assitantships and faculty only.

 2. Authentication mechanism

    My school, Michigan Tech University, had developed some
    in house Apache modules to certify a University-wide
    application. Although we used LDAP to authenticate users,
    the process of incorporating the procedure into WPMU was
    not trivial.

    I see that there is a plugin that someone mentioned
    in this list but I still haven't been able to make it
    work :(

These and some other security related concerns made our IT
department use Jive Software products instead of WPMU.

Though I am out of the University now, I would personally be
very interested in learning about using Active Directory
(LDAP) to authenticate a community of users and automagically
create their blogs within WPMU.

Best,
gowtham

Gowtham