[wp-docs] WordPress Help Manual on WP Academy (James Gill)

James james at thinkhuman.com
Sun Sep 23 17:31:41 UTC 2012

>"But I've been seriously thinking about this, what needs
> to happen (again IMHO) is an open-source Winhelp-clone system powered by
> WordPress, that would be equivalent to my semi-proprietary system see for
> instance:

I'd recommend almost anything *but* a "winhelp clone". For me, a
platform-specific format (especially Windows) both goes against the spirit
of WordPress and is a cumbersome, anachronistic way of doing things.

I've developed Windows help since--well, since there was a Windows. I've
also created technical documentation for 20 years or so. Tool-wise, the
answer is always "what creates something that helps the user be the most
successful?" I think the answer can be provided with many tools, including
WordPress or a wiki.

If I were to pick one thing WordPress users likely want most, it's the
ability to search and find clear, specific answers to specific questions.
And, if I were to change only one thing about the Codex, for example, I'd
add more visuals.

-james

:::
:::
::: Today's Topics:
:::
:::    1. Re: WordPress Help Manual on WP Academy (Andrea Rennick)
:::    2. Re: WordPress Help Manual on WP Academy (Lorelle on WordPress)
:::    3. Re: WordPress Help Manual on WP Academy (Marc Beneteau)
:::
:::
::: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
:::
::: Message: 1
::: Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:16:42 -0300
::: From: Andrea Rennick <andrea at ronandandrea.com>
::: Subject: Re: [wp-docs] WordPress Help Manual on WP Academy
::: To: WordPress Documentation <wp-docs at lists.automattic.com>
:::
::: "what needs to happen (again IMHO) is an open-source Winhelp-clone system
::: powered by WordPress,"
:::
::: The user manual I mentioned above is powered by WordPress.
:::
::: I do appreciate your ideas and enthusiasm. Right now, we want to see the
::: user guide pushed out ASAP. Then we can talk about if & when and how to
::: make the actual docs later.
:::
::: a.
:::