[wp-docs] Feedback request - WordPress Help Manual platform

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Fri Oct 5 16:02:04 UTC 2012

On 10/5/12 11:42 AM, Marc Beneteau wrote:

> Sorry Jane I am now confused."that is what the support group is
> working on http://svnbook.red-bean.com/"... you mean the Codex people
> (this list)?Or is this a separate group?I want to be invited to that.

There's no special invitation, you just start contributing. The group is
at http://make.wordpress.org/support. That includes both support forums
and documentation. The Codex is the existing documentation. The
handbooks are the new documentation project they are working on there.
Review the history on the blog there for more information. This list
(along with the forums list) is semi-deprecated in favor of the blog,
which is more accessible to potential contributors.

>  I have stuff to contribute but I am not very interested in working on
> a legacy platform, I hope that's clear now,

It's been clear from your first email, as has been our disinterest in
pursuing the windows-style platform you prefer.

> and also I disagree with you "the SVN book is just HTML", the
> organization of the topics is crucial,

Yes, but the organization of topics is CONTENT, not PLATFORM.

> and also the decision of whether this is going to context-sensitive
> help inside the dashboard

Documentation and core ux are two different things. Changing the way
help is treated in the dashboard would go through the core team. Nacin
is the release lead, and 3.5 is already in beta, so suggestions for new
features will probably be taken in January at the beginning of the 3.6
cycle. But again, there is nothing stopping you from making a plugin
that does things exactly the way you want them, and releasing that. If
someone who hasn't contributed to core before wants to make suggestions
to change the core ux/ui, having a publicly released plugin that does
what is being suggested will get more attention than someone just coming
in cold and saying "I think you should do x".