[wp-docs] Feedback request - WordPress Help Manual platform

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Fri Oct 5 12:13:39 UTC 2012

On 10/5/12 7:46 AM, Marc Beneteau wrote:
> Jane, thanks for feedback. I feel my best contribution right now is to
> focus on this WordPress Help Manual concept.  Yes of course we'll put
> it in Wordpress svn but we're not ready for that yet.  My immediate
> need is for a project manager, I will be technical lead of sorts.  I
> could ask my friend or make inquiries in Philadelphia community here,
> but I thought posting to this group and writing to Matt would shortcut
> the process.
I think the main disconnect here is that you clearly want to work on a
Windows-style display system, while most of the docs contributors and
project leaders don't find that format all that appealing. For all the
years we've talked about doing an online book-format user manual (to be
joined by additional manuals for theme developers, core contributors,
etc), the format that we have aspired to is
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/, not windows help.

I just went back and reread the past couple of weeks of emails from/to
you on this list, and can see that others have directed you to the areas
where contribution is needed currently, and/or wished you luck for
trying the project on your own since we just aren't really interested in
taking on as an official thing. It seems like you are sticking hard and
fast to the idea that your version of documentation is better, and
that's the only way you want to work on it.

If you want to contribute content to wordpress.org, great, it can go
into the codex or the nascent handbook easy as pie. If you want to start
a new project around your theme/plugin combo for your preferred style of
help display, that's also great, but not something this list can
facilitate, if no one has volunteered so far. You would be better off
seeking collaborators on the wp-hackers list, at your local wp meetup
group, or in the #wordpress IRC channel, where there might be a coder
interested in working on it. This is not something Automattic or the
Foundation would hire someone to work on for you. The project leadership
has endorsed the work being done on codex and handbooks, and that's
where our focus is for now.
Thanks, Jane