[wp-docs] Feedback request - WordPress Help Manual platform

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Thu Oct 4 20:26:45 UTC 2012

On 10/4/12 4:03 PM, Marc Beneteau wrote:
> I am interested in developing a GPL help authoring platform for
> WordPress similar to my proprietary system
<snip>
> It was suggested on this forum that I contact WordPress Foundation.  I
> have done but have not gotten a response, nor from WordPress.tv.  I am
> willing to do this if there is sufficient support for it.  Probably
> the most immediate requirement / need is for someone to create and
> manage the Sourceforge (or WP svn), and try and recruit programmers.
> I am willing to project manage the development process.
Hi Marc. Matt handles requests sent in via the Foundation site
personally, but I can usually give a general answer on things. I didn't
see your original request, but is there a reason you wouldn't just start
development of a GPL tool using the existing plugin svn or on github if
you wanted to make collaboration easier? If it's not a WordPress-based
system, then we probably wouldn't really go that route.

I think the best thing to do is to get involved with the group actively
working on improving wordpress.org free/GPL support materials, at
http://make.wordpress.org/support. I don't see us starting a separate
documentation/training site effort, but the team working together there
(with Mika at its head) can tell you the best ways to contribute.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have further questions.
Thanks,
Jane

P.S. Side note: your url of wpacademy.com is okay, but using the
trademarked name "WordPress" in your product names (WordPress Academy in
your box images, WordPress Learning Management System all over the site)
is not. Use of the W logo, also part of the trademark, is restricted per
the trademark policy at http://wordpressfoundation.org/trademark-policy/