[wp-docs] Accessibility page on Codex (James GIll)

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:13:39 UTC 2012

I agree. James, would you be willing to talk to some of the
accessibility team members? You volunteered and Mel and I went
overboard helping. :D

It's good to know that at least one country puts the onus on site
owners. I still believe that WordPress needs to step up more and
making link titles and image alternative descriptions required (in
addition to the title for the database) is a simple and easy to
implement step. Hard to do that when people click and drag stuff into
WordPress, but it is a start for those who use it better.

Glenda Watson Hyatt has offered her services and advice to WordPress
in the past on accessibility, and I've recommended hiring her as a
consultant for years. Here are some of her recent posts on the
subject.

http://blogaccessibility.com/take-the-accessibility-challenge-make-your-next-blog-post-accessible-in-75-seconds/
http://www.21times.org/archives/glenda-watson-hyatts-top-7-countdown-of-common-accessibility-struggles/

She wrote a great post about WordPress accessibility - several of
them, but I can't find them and I have to race out the door to teach.
ARGH.

Anyway, thanks, James, for letting us run off on our favorite subject.
Mel and I have very vested interests in accessibility issues - as you
can tell. :D

Lorelle