[wp-docs] Accessibility page on Codex (James GIll)

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:17:00 UTC 2012

On the issue of WordPress "preventing building accessible sites,"
that's not true. Accessibility is mostly reliant upon Themes and
Plugins. That must be clear, however, WordPress does not enforce
compliance with images and links which is part of the requirements for
accessibility and part of the WordPress core programming. The only
"responsibility" WordPress core can really offer, to my understanding,
is compliance within the content area. The rest is Theme and Plugin
design and programming elements to insure P.O.U.R. is met for
perceivable, operable, understanding, and robust guidelines. WordPress
can do more in the core for mobility features and browser
compatibility on the backend, but the front end is Theme and Plugin
authors' responsibility.

An accessibility expert told me one time that it would be interesting
to see a WordPress specific lawsuit over this. Would the site owner be
completely liable or would some of the onus be on WordPress and/or the
web developer(s), Theme designers, and Plugin authors for
non-compliance. I think that's a valid question that needs answering
to help protect all parties involved. Hold harmless can only go so
far, and we all know that ignorance of the laws means squat.

I hope I am not muddying the waters. I just want to make sure that
compliance with international law is considered in the article so we
can best serve our audience. This is no longer an ethical decision but
a legal one. Having followed the lawsuits of these cases over the
years closely, there is a lot of legal involved, but it boils down to
simple things that could have been done right in the first place, if
people understood these are not ethical or "right" choices but the
law.

Thanks!

Lorelle