[wp-docs] Accessibility page on Codex (James GIll)

James james at thinkhuman.com
Sat Nov 17 03:48:38 UTC 2012

Lorelle wrote:
> With the new US federal law on web accessibility as of March 2012 in place,
> it is critical we explain how WordPress complies with P.O.U.R. Guidelines
> and web standards both on the front and back ends. WordPress does not
> adequately comply with the new US federal laws or international country
laws
> consistently, especially when it comes to images and links. These need
to be
> pointed out an the correct actions need to be encouraged.

Lorelle, I'm an advocate of accessible sites and explaining things like
Section 508 (and have been since there was a WWW), but--I'm unclear about
how WordPress is required to "comply" with US accessibility laws or laws
of other countries. Also, I'm not clear how WordPress currently prevents
building accessible sites for those aiming to create them. Can you explain
that a bit, or point me towards more information?

Thanks,
-james