[wp-docs] dedicated Codex search function

Nathaniel Taintor goldenapplesdesign at gmail.com
Thu May 3 20:22:48 UTC 2012

Thanks for the input, Otto. I don't expect anything on the wp.org site to
change overnight... its working well enough for the thousands of people who
use it, don't mess with it on a whim.

The part of my idea that I thought could be acted on immediately, though,
is creating redirect pages [1] on the Codex wiki to make Codex search more
useful.

(To test the concept, I created a redirect from "register post type" to
"Function_Reference/register_post_type": now searching for
"register_post_type" on the Codex, ie
http://codex.wordpress.org/?search=register_post_type, now brings you
directly to the relevant function reference page.)

My question, not so much for the site admins as for other people on this
list, is: is this something I can/should take on? From a quick browsing of
the Special:AllPages codex entry, it looks like there are somewhere around
a thousand pages in English with prefixes that would need to have redirect
pages set up. Like I said, I don't see any possible downside, but if anyone
has any reason for me not to do this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Than

[1:http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Redirect]

Nathaniel Taintor, Designer/Developer