[wp-docs] dedicated Codex search function

Charles K. Clarkson cclarkson at htcomp.net
Wed May 2 22:05:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

It is possible to limit searches on Google using "site:" to just the
codex:

For example, this search:

   site:codex.wordpress.org bugs

... will find everything indexed on Codex with the words "bugs" in it.

   About 373 results (0.21 seconds)

You can also search the Function Reference only:

site:codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference wp_list_categories

Or both the Function Reference and the Template Tags reference:

site:codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference OR
site:codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags wp_list_categories

Those urls could easily created with PHP or JavaScript.

The first item of this search is usually the Function Reference
and / or Template Tags Reference item:

wordpress wp_list_categories

The now defunct site: http://wplookup.com/ used to produce function
and template reference links to function name input. I believe Yoast
may have the code. I sorely miss it.

To search the inline docs for a function I often search the code
using this string:

"function function_name"

The inline docs often match the online docs, except for examples
and notes.

HTH,
Charles