[wp-docs] Quoting UI items in Help Tabs

Tom Auger (personal) tomaugerdotcom at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 23 15:05:27 UTC 2012

Doug writes:

" One stylistic quibble: most of the help tabs do not use quote marks for
words/phrases/actions that are in the interface. Just capitalize the first
letter: Customize, not "Customize" -- cleaner, less visual noise. We do not
yet  have a Style Guide for the tabs... "

I hear you, and I agree that we should normalize our approach to writing
style within the Help tabs.

As I explained on the ticket, however, I do feel strongly that the use of
quotes when describing a specific UI element actually helps to disambiguate
the interface element from the context in which it appears within the
sentence.

Doug's example of "Customize" vs. Customize works, but consider some of the
other UI elements that I need to refer to in the tabs: "Choose from image
library" and "Set as header". Those links are in sentence case and I feel
it's stylistically and grammatically incorrect to omit the quote marks,
which both serve to visually group those items together and keep them
distinct from the sentence, as well as to make it obvious that that clause
is the object of the sentence.

Anyway, sorry for being so pedantic about this.  It's a best practice I've
been using for 15 years. I'm eager to hear others' opinions of the matter,
especially in the context of sentence case hyperlinks.

Tom

Message: 2