[wp-docs] : WordPress-Generated CSS Classes for Menus (Chip

Tom Auger (personal) tomaugerdotcom at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 19 12:33:48 UTC 2012

Hey Chip, in order to better understand your position, I think I'll need
some clarification on why you don't want some very small examples of the CSS
(you wouldn't need any HTML, since the markup is auto generated by the very
functions you're documenting). Obviously we do PHP examples all over the
place, why should it be different for CSS when it's apposite to the topic at
hand?

Just some anecdotal experience here: I have recently hired two new web
developers, rather fresh out of school, and to them it was quite a mystery
as to how to highlight selected menu items etc. Of the two, I think one
could have figured it out given a list of all the classes available, but the
other who was a more visual learner, really needed to be shown once how all
those classes could be leveraged.

Just in terms of making the documentation as complete as possible, and as
useful as possible to all viewers of various experience levels, I thought it
might be handy to just give a hint or two of how these classes might be
leveraged in a real-world scenario.

I do like Evan's suggestion of using examples from the official themes that
ship with WP. That seems right to me. I guess the only issue there is what
do we do when Twenty-Twelve ships (looking like 3.5 at the moment, so still
a few months off)?

Tom

Message: 2