[wp-docs] WordPress-Generated CSS Classes for Menus

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Apr 12 12:58:22 UTC 2012

So, in trying to answer a question for someone regarding the CSS classes
that WordPress generates for menu items, I realized that none of the
following entries actually lists or explains those classes:

   - wp_nav_menu() Func
Ref<http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_nav_menu>
   - wp_page_menu() Func
Ref<http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_page_menu>
   - wp_list_pages() Func
Ref<http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_list_pages>
   - WordPress Menu User
Guide<http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide>
   - Navigation Menus <http://codex.wordpress.org/Navigation_Menus>

I think this information would be a useful addition, but am looking for
some feedback/guidance before proceeding: where would be the best place for
this information? I'm thinking that the function references would be ideal?
I note that wp_list_pages() does include a couple of the classes, under the
"Markup and Style of Page Items" section. Should I follow this model for
all three function reference pages?

Thanks,

Chip