[wp-docs] Docs Contributor Team

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 16:09:08 UTC 2012

Let's welcome Siobhan, too, to the group. I work with a lot of people
behind the scenes on the Codex and while I say jump in and introduce
yourself on the Codex Mailing List, not all get around to it. :D

As I explain to many, the key way to first get involved in the Codex
(besides entering the Community Portal link on the Codex sidebar and
digging into the styles and guidelines) is to edit. Exactly that. Start
going through whatever articles interest you and look for spelling and
grammar mistakes. Remove all personal stories and ensure the documents are
in second person familiar. Check resource links to ensure they meet our
requirements and continue to serve as pertinent reference material.

Along the way you will usually stumble on an article in desperate need of
updating. This way, you get a feel for what's in the Codex and how all the
wiki bits work. It takes a bit of work to get into the Codex voice and
style. If you find something that worries you or needs an answer, check in
with me or with the group and we'll help. There is a lot of history here
and a lot of the other groups within WordPress sensitive about who is
touching their docs, so there is a lot to learn here. And it's all about
the team work here.

We have an amazing team that sit on the Codex constantly to ensure it is
clean and free of spam and unwanted crap. No article really belongs to any
single author (though some are protected as they tie in with WordPress
core) and we work collaboratively a lot. Many times people will put an
article up in their username space and invite us to attack with our red
pens and fix. We have dozens of volunteers that never chat on the Codex
discussion list but dig deep into the Codex whenever there is a need. It's
an amazing, versatile, and flexible group with a ton of self-starters.

So welcome and dig right in.

And thanks so much for all the time you give.

Lorelle