[wp-docs] Proposed change to Giving WordPress Its Own Directory

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Sep 21 09:45:34 UTC 2011

on 21/09/2011 01:20 Mika A Epstein said the following:
> The only problem is 'blog' is only slightly more useful than
> 'wordpress' - The number of sites that use WP for something other
> than a blog is on the rise.  Perhaps it would be better to make it
> clear that the folder name is mutable.

I agree that 'blog' isn't that helpful but, if we want a generic example
in there (and that would probably be a Good Idea), we're always going to
be stuck with something that doesn't suit 90% of sites.

> (Also I'd keep in subdirectories, as if you switch to MultiSite, the
> install is either subdirectory or subdomain, not 'subfolder' and it
> would carry through logically as the users grow in skill level.  Of
> course to say 'subdirectory (i.e. a folder)' is not inappropriate!)

Good point. So perhaps use 'subdirectory (a folder within the main
directory)' when referring to the server?

FWIW, I think this is (bizarrely) the most important change:

> 5. Get ready to upload the WordPress files to your web server:

The current page says "Upload the WordPress files...' and I think people
stop reading Step 5 at that point. So the whole 'choosing the right
folder name or install in root' gets missed, when what we really want is
for people to stop and think for a moment before they upload.

Mel