[wp-docs] Proposed change to Giving WordPress Its Own Directory

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Wed Sep 21 00:20:07 UTC 2011

The only problem is 'blog' is only slightly more useful than 'wordpress' - The number of sites that use WP for something other than a blog is on the rise.  Perhaps it would be better to make it clear that the folder name is mutable.

(Also I'd keep in subdirectories, as if you switch to MultiSite, the install is either subdirectory or subdomain, not 'subfolder' and it would carry through logically as the users grow in skill level.  Of course to say 'subdirectory (i.e. a folder)' is not inappropriate!)

5. Get ready to upload the WordPress files to your web server:

# If you want WordPress to run your main site (e.g. http://example.com/ ), upload all of the contents of the 'wordpress' folder (but <strong>not</strong> the folder itself)  to your web server.

# If you want to have WordPress to have its own folder on your web site (e.g. http://example.com/FOLDERNAME/ ), rename the wordpress folder on your computer to your preferred name (e.g. FOLDERNAME) and then upload the entire folder to your web server.  This name will be a part of your URL, so be certain to pick something appropriate to your site, be it 'blog' or 'news.'  Using 'wordpress' as your folder name is not advised, as it's rarely relevant to the visitors to you site.

----
Mika A Epstein (aka Ipstenu)
http://ipstenu.org