[wp-docs] Added user page on .htaccess file generation, feedback?

David Miles david at thatchurch.com
Thu Sep 1 03:26:37 UTC 2011

Thank you all very much for the feedback!  Far more than I expected, that's
for sure.
I have hit one snag when it comes to Multisite ... I haven't got the
slightest clue where or even if .htaccess file(s) are
even acknowledged/generated since from the best I can tell, the
save_mod_rewrite_rules() in wp-admin/includes/misc.php is responsible for
saving the .htaccess file and exits immediately if it is a multisite.
This really sucks considering I'm developing a theme for a multisite install
and did all of this on a single install without realizing this... Any
suggestions on where to look or if I'm just out of luck?

@Lorelle,
I honestly wasn't sure what title to use, but it was what I searched for
since Googling things pertaining to WordPress and .htaccess brings up a
bunch of stuff on manually editing the file or only pertained to internal
rewriting.
So in hopes of throwing someone a break, I figured I'd try to use a
unique(r) title and hope they find it.  If nothing else, I did put a link to
it on the http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Rewrite page at the
bottom since that's THE PLACE to find more on the topic.
I didn't want to clutter that page any more and didn't feel a new Codex page
was needed, so I used a User page instead.  Normally I would've just used a
blog post, but it's much better structured there and just made a cozy spot
that others can expand on it as well and not have to do so in long threaded
comments.

Thanks again.