[wp-docs] Template Hierarchy Diagram

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Wed Oct 26 23:19:18 UTC 2011

On 26 Oct 2011, at 5:34:24PM, Chip Bennett wrote:

> One more for tonight:
>
> I've been thinking that the Template Hierarchy diagram could do with a bit of an update, so I've been working on one:
> http://www.chipbennett.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/WordPressTemplateHierarchy.rev3_.png
>
> Any comments? Also, what is the correct approach to updating the Codex page? That page is highly referenced, so I don't want to screw anything up. :)

Codex pages are very easy to revert so it's less a hassle than you'd think.

If it's a massive rewrite, I'd suggest doing it as a subpage off your user page, and share it here. If it's just cleanup and a new image, though... Go forth and fix.

The new template looks ... Busy. It's almost at the 'too much information to be usable' stage and may need to be two images.  One a corrected/updated version of what we have, and the other done with what you have as a 'detailed' view option?  I know I don't always need the full details, just a cheat sheet.