[wp-docs] WordPress Integration with Social Media

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Nov 22 20:47:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Lorelle on WordPress
<lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's what I thought, but the more I think about it, the more I think it
> could have value if we say something and link to appropriate tags in the
> Plugin Directory.
>
> Like defining what integration means. In my classes I call them Share, Push,
> and Pull - Share means you "share" information manually through social
> media, Push is to tell the world through social media, and pull is to bring
> social media to your blog.
>
> Using that analogy, it would be ideal for the Codex to cover getting a short
> link to share manually (aren't they adding the short URL to the core?),
> examples of how to automate the process to push posts to social media, and
> how to use the Feed Widget to pull social media stuff into the site, and
> feature links to Plugin tags that do the pushing and pulling for examples of
> WordPress Plugins that make it easier.
>
> This could be a WordPress Lesson. I'm sure there are more sophisticated
> techniques, but I think we need to have a page that gives some basics to
> answering the question of how and can I integrate my blog to social media.
>
> More brainstorming ideas?
>
> Lorelle

Shortlinks are already in core, have been since... err.. 2.9 or 3.0. I
use them in my Simple Twitter Connect and Simple Facebook Connect
plugins (Simple Google Connect is in progress).

I dunno. I think this is too big a concept, with too many opinions*
and ways of doing it. "Integration" is a big thing, with a lot of
separate sub-topics and such. You can break it down into parts, but
even in those parts there's dozens of possible ones, each has
different upsides and downsides, etc.

-Otto

* my opinions and methods for doing this sort of thing are the only
correct ones, of course, but not everybody agrees. ;)