[wp-docs] Link Spawning Search Results

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Nov 17 05:29:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Lorelle on WordPress <
lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com> wrote:

> Otto: Link spawning wasn't in there originally, so something has changed
> fairly recently. Can you find out who changed it? I know there MUST be a
> good reason, but this breaks web standards and one thing WordPress loves is
> standards. ;-)

I already know who changed it. I did. :)

This is because we switched over to the Google Search when Yahoo's search
discontinued their API and the searches stopped working. This didn't
involve changing anything on the codex, which I don't have access to change
right now. Google's results have the new window target set, and seemingly
no way to make it not do that. I'll look into it, but I see nothing on a
cursory glace at the docs.

The search box in the header isn't a site or area specific search. Never
has been, AFAIK. It's a search for all of WordPress.org, on all pages. The
wording possibly needs work. Use Special:Search if you only want to search
the codex.

-Otto