[wp-docs] Importing from Movable Type to WordPress

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:32:45 UTC 2011

As an added note to the process, many rely upon the MT import to get their
blogs into WordPress from systems that don't support XML or other WordPress
imports. In addition to updating this, can we update all our imports? Maybe
expand them.

A link to http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content (especially once
updated) will help people get to the right import instructions from the
Import Panel. I hear from a lot of people frustrated about importing from
WordPress to WordPress as well as you have to install the WordPress Plugin
to cross import, having been removed from the core, which also needs
updating - the Plugin and the Codex notes (HUGE bug - it imports the same
categories as catname-2, catname-3, catname-654, catname-1325 - I wish I was
kidding.).

Here is what is available for WordPress.com blogs, with many found on single
install:

Blogger
Blogroll/OPML
Israblog
LiveJournal
Movable Type and TypePad
Posterous
Vox
Yahoo! 360

Drupal and Joomla! would be nice to have in that list or core imports, but
not sure how clean that import would be since their new releases in the past
month. They both made major database changes and improvements and the doc
should reflect the new structure.

While there isn't a specific import listed, WordPress.com teams have been
working on Live Spaces, so there really should be something for that in the
list:
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/welcome-windows-live-spaces-bloggers-to-wordpress-com/
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/help-and-tips-for-windows-live-spaces-bloggers-modules-albums-widgets-and-lists/

Others not included on the doc page (we need to note if the XML
export/import will work in the docs for any of these):

Expression Engine
Serendipity
Life Type
Boast Machine
Eggblog
Zomplog
Subtext
BlogEngine.NET
TriptychBlog
Presstopia Blog

That's just a few of the competition, so to speak, and there are more at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content_management_systems

Let's show the rest of the core team that the docs team still has chops and
maybe we can also get the WordPress to WordPress Plugin updated, too. :D

Thanks!

Lorelle