[wp-docs] Added user page on .htaccess file generation, feedback?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Aug 31 17:03:39 UTC 2011

You missed a rather simple trick that not many people know about. This
will add a rule to the .htaccess file when the rules are hard flushed.

add_rewrite_rule('myrule', '/newlocation');

In WordPress, all "internal" rewrite rules must start with "index.php"
for them to work properly. Any rule that doesn't start with index.php
gets shoved out into the .htaccess file as a normal RewriteRule when
the flush happens (basically when you visit the Settings->Permalink
page).

So you can use normal add_rewrite_rule calls to add normal .htaccess
rules as well as the internal kind.

Note: Internal rules use the $matches[1] method for referencing
pattern matchers. This won't work in .htaccess rules, you have to use
the $1 method for those rules.

-Otto