[wp-docs] The main page.

Spencer Hill spencerhill at theportlandco.com
Mon Aug 29 18:44:56 UTC 2011

Sorry to chime in late here, my message didn't get posted for some reason. This was written a few days ago in reply to Mika's response on the 26th:

I agree that there was too much data there. In my defense, I only added the first paragraph and the "For Non-Developers", anything after that was already there.

While simplicity is key, the purpose of the codex is to inform visitors. So wouldn't it be a mistake to omit critical information simply because we don't think people will read it? Or because it's not aesthetically pleasing? What if we set our goal on being clearly and concisely organized rather than being "simple'? That way we understand that we're only omitting information on a particular page if it's not relevant, premature or repetitive?

With regards to "Installation" being the first topic to address, it brings us back to the current problem with the existing and previous layouts: we're alienating end users who just want to learn how to use WordPress.

Does anyone object to having at least two different sections on the front page so as to respect the two critically different types of users we have (developers and non-developers)?