[wp-docs] The main page.

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Sat Aug 27 16:43:22 UTC 2011

On 26/08/2011 19:14, Spencer Hill wrote:
> One last note, regardless of the content or structure of ESMI's layout,
> it's lacking clarity for people who are not developers. We /have/ to
> provide a safe location for people who don't know, understand or care
> about WordPress' functions, installation, etc... to get their
> information without being slammed with loads of technical terms, FAQ's
> and links.

I think that this is a valid comment. I went to the Manchester (uk)
Wordpress User's Group meeting and they really got the idea of the
Wordpress manual that we are working on
(http://blog.booki.cc/2011/08/wordpress-flossmanuals-book-jog/) as a
bridge / ladder to the excellent stuff already there.

I think the discussions about how to get that beginner, user,
administrator content easily found on codex is really exciting to see.
It took me 4 clicks from the codex front page to get to here
http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started

My thoughts are that a wiki _can_ be a book (if you want it to be), and
sometimes books are useful for people that want to follow a thread, to
be guided to learn something. Also books provide a great source of
structured handouts for training (that's what I do for cash).

I'm sure that there is a space for this kind of thing on the
wordpress.org without drawing attention from the essential stuff already
there - I wonder if it is a separate space from the codex or if it can
be well integrated.

It's great that learn.wordpress.com can be gpl-ed for the codex -
there's some great stuff there.

We also use GPL at flossmanuals for the docs there to, so anything that
gets written there can be synched into the hopefully growing pages for
beginners / intermediates to create that ladder.

The book jog is plodding on - there's a lot of content now - here's
today's snap shot.
http://objavi.booki.cc/books/wordpress-en-2011.08.27-16.24.09.pdf

Please do feel free to register and get editing. There information how
http://blog.booki.cc/2011/08/wordpress-flossmanuals-book-jog/

I'd welcome any other suggestions for how this effort could sync well
with the codex or any other docs that are out there.

nice one,
mick