[wp-docs] User query about linking to training content

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:14:45 UTC 2011

@Marc: Probably not. If you solved some great bit of code and published it,
offered in depth analysis on a subject beyond the basics covered in the
Codex, or offered a unique way of using WordPress, then it would be a
appropriate to link to that as a resource link at the bottom of a related
article.

Links to general articles that repeat a lot of what is already been offered
in the Codex, that's redundant and unnecessary. We'd have to watch all the
time to ensure that it was updated to the latest version and...trust me, we
have enough trouble keeping the Codex updated without worrying about
off-site content. :D It's more important we improve and keep up our own
documentation.

By standards and integrity, we mean in keeping with the WordPress Codex
policies, such as the use of the capital P in WordPress, guiding not
selling, etc. It's a bit subjective, as is appropriate, but the policies
have been honed well since 2004.

To be completely honest and to preserve this for posterity, here's where,
IMHO, your site fails:

1. The content is not freely accessible.
2. To access the content, the user must give away private and personal
information.
3. The purpose of the site is to sell WordPress tutorials and content, NOT
offer open and free content.
4. The author of the content and information about the people behind the
site is invisible or hard to find, thus lacks integrity and transparency.
Without qualifications, there is no verification that this isn't just
another "make money with WordPress" scam.
5. The site resembles the many that have come before, including the art
work. It really closely matches a site I railed against promoting "buying"
WordPress
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/06/30/dont-buy-wordpress-its-free/

While you and your site's integrity might be unquestionable, you are asking
people experienced in spotting these and this is what we see. Trust me,
we've seen plenty.

Thank you again for your understanding in this. Again, I highly recommend
Code Poet and the WordPress profiles as a great way to help promote your
efforts for the WordPress community, though I would work harder to change
the site's look, feel and intentions to be more in keeping with the noted
WordPress experts we do support. We need all the help and support we can get
and it is much appreciated.

Lorelle