[wp-docs] codex spam

mrmist listswpdocs at mist.org.uk
Sun Oct 31 09:04:53 UTC 2010

A quick note to any codex mods or, in fact, anyone just to be aware and
keep and eye out.

The other day I noticed that some subtle changes had been made to the
"WordPress in your Language" page, where some very spamish links (to
mobile phone sites) had been added in as citiations to some of the
language variants.

I removed these links, and blocked the contributor (the account had no
other contributions apart from these links) However, this did not stop,
as the person registered another account to try to add the same things
back in. I did the same again.

The account holder then emailed me through the "email user" function to
ask why the links had been removed.  I replied and said that I found
them to be spammy etc. but suggested that he can contact any of the
other site mods if he wanted them re-instated, as they may feel
differently. He chose not to do that (I guess) but instead sent me an
alternative list of links. Frankly I found those little better (still
unrelated link hoard sites) but decided not to reply any further by
email, having already made it clear that he should go elsewhere if he
wants another opinion.

However, last night it looks like instead of taking that advice, he
chose to deface the page and try and put the links back again.

Obviously I've blocked and reverted it all (though I may have caught
Fergusman's edits in the crossfire, haven't checked yet if they were
valid) but this really is just a heads-up for you folk to be aware of
the situation.

Spammers, it seems, sadly, are back on the Codex.

(Incidentally, when I was trying to save the older page the first time,
the spam filter rejected a number of links - first time I've ever seen
that fire)

Cheers
--
mrmist