[wp-docs] Something out of date in "Backing Up Your Database"?

Bernard D. Tremblay (ben) bernard.d.tremblay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:12:38 UTC 2010

1st, and most important: if I understood the detailed functions on that
"backup" function, I wouldn't have to consult Codex.
So it makes no sense for anybody to expect the reader to understand the
document before they've read it.
The point of tech_docs isn't to impress others with what we know: it's
to explain it to those who don't. Know, that is.

mrmist wrote:
>> mrmist wrote:
>>  "Bernard D. Tremblay (ben)" <bernard.d.tremblay at gmail.com> writes
>> I see this:
>> s / The SQL section / The Options section
>>
>> But if you see the screenshot, you'll see that the list of items is
>> substantially different.
>> Perhaps not /functionally/ ... if I knew what I was doing and didn't
>> need to
>> be walked through, I wouldn't be on this page in Codex! ... but
>> descriptively.
> That's just it, I'm not seeing the difference between what is in the
> doc and what is in your screenshot
Well that's real odd. I listed a) what's in the doc, and then b) what's
in my phpMyAdmin. viz.:
a)  'Structure'; 'Add DROP TABLE'; ''Add AUTO_INCREMENT' and 'Enclose
table and field names with backquotes

'b) Structure'; 'Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION'; 'Add IF
NOT EXISTS' and 'Add AUTO_INCREMENT value'

Not important differences?
Ok.
You know that. I didn't know that.
That's why I needed the document: because I didn't know.
So when the document is different from what I see, that's confusing.

I'm glad you guys know so much.
I know this: tech_docs are written for those who don't already know.

>> *blink*
>> You deleted what I wrote in Discussion?
>> You ignored the text, ignored the screenshot, and just deleted what
>> I  wrote?
> Erm, I was responding.  It's poor form to quote the entire previous
> discussion.
Goooood grief.
I meant: you deleted //from the page Discussion in the wiki//.

bdt